Skip to main content

ASP.NET Development Server always needed a restart

Problem

I work in VS 2008, and every time I made a change to my code / html I had to stop the ASP.NET development server – apparently called Cassini.

This was a little irritating as you can imagine, after scouring the internet every time I had a chance for a few months, I was ready to give up, I even posted on a few forums.

Then I found a great site that spoke about nothing to do with the server, and guess what it is working. It has to do with how .net is dealt with on you machine, and it obviously assumes you are not a coder by default.

The Fix

On the MSDN forums I found a reference to the Microsoft knowledge base: KB911272. In summary

Essentially the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET\FCNMode determines how ASP.NET is dealt with as an app on the box.

Initially setting this to "0" fixed the problem, but this caused a UNC share problem, so then I set it to two after finding this great item

hosting-on-a-unc-share-is-not-supported-for-the-windows-xp-platform.aspx

And now I can change my code and run on the fly.

Comments

Jason said…
I'm having this exact same problem with VS2008. I just recently installed VS2010 and continue to have it, unbelievable! I've tried this FCNMode setting at 0 and 2, neither make a difference. This is such an incredibly frustrating problem -- can you think of anything that could help me? I'm running .NET 2.0.50727.4927 and 4.0.30319.1 on Win7 64-bit.

I'm starting to think the 64-bit is the problem, but I can't be the only one in the world with VS2008/2010 on Win7 64bit. Ugh!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Wassa said…
You have to do a reboot between, have had the problem a number of times since this post and it has worked every time. Otherwise the ASP.NET forums have been remarkably helpful for me. Thanks for taking the tim eto comment

Popular posts from this blog

SMTP servers of South Africa

SMTP Settings Below is a list of SMTP sites in South Africa, using this and the ISP Map you can try and find which one works best for you. Telkom smtp.saix.net (ADSL) smtp.telkomsa.co.za (56k dial up) smtp.telkomsa.net Internet Solutions smtp.isdsl.net (ADSL) smtp.dial-up.net (56k dial up on IS) smtp.layerone.net (3g backbone) Vodacom smtp.vodacom.co.za smtp.vodamail.co.za MTN smtp.mtn.co.za Cell C smtp.cellc.co.za (GPRS) mail.cmobile.co.za (also used by Virgin) ABSA mail.absa.co.za iBurst smtp.wbs.co.za smtp.iburst.co.za @lantic smtp.lantic.net (ADSL,Dialup, ISDN) Sentech smtp.sentech.co.za MWEB smtp.mweb.net (ADSL) - this is to be retired End June 2012, use below instead smtp.mweb.co.za (56k dial-up & ADSL & business) iAfrica smtp.uunet.co.za smtp.iafrica.com Neotel smtp.neotel.co.za Tiscali NOW MWeb smtp.tiscali.co.za Netactive NOW MWeb smtp.netactive.co.za Global smtp.global.co.za Hertzner Use y

Fixing winmail.dat problem - specifically in Quickbooks

For months we have had problems with attachments from Quickbooks. Having looked down many avenues I think we have found a fix or few: (See below for update) Here are a few websites that help out: Microsoft Outlook/Exchange MS-TNEF handling (aka "Winmail.dat", "Win.dat", or "Part 1.2" problem of unopenable email attachments) http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=716 KB958012 : When you use Outlook 2007 to send an e-mail message, the recipient of the message sees an attachment that is called Winmail.dat Essentially the summary is that there is a problem with Outlook trying to force Rich Text Format. so you need to turn that off. Mail users not receiving email in an Outlook derivative will have a problem. This format is called So: Go into Outlook On the "Tools" menu, click "Options", then click the "Mail Format" tab, and then the "Internet Format" button. Set "When sending Outlook Ri

Programmatically send email in Access using VBA and Outlook

When I first wrote my early Access system I used a function I setup in Outlook and then I called that. On upgrading I had a few problems with the older method then I found some help on the MSDN website here... and the related video. The first thing to do before starting the code is go into access, access the VBA (press Ctl+G) then click on "Tools" The "References" and then make sure you scroll down to "Microsoft Outlook ..." the version there will be determined by what version you have installed. This the code that I ended up with after looking at the site above Private olApp As Outlook.Application Private olNameSpace As Outlook.NameSpace ' The basics of this from MSDN site ' http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee208547(v=office.12).aspx Private Sub InitOutlook()  ' Initialize a session in Outlook   Set olApp = New Outlook.Application   'Return a reference to the MAPI layer   Set olNameSpace = olApp.GetNamespace("MA