Skip to main content

Dharma ponderings

The Buddhists say we all have a purpose in life our or Dharma. This belief is a confusing one for me when looking at Buddhism. Most of the religion is about acceptance of all. Everything arriving is of the moment after all Zen is the epitome of Buddhism.

This is what for me makes Dharma so un Zen. It seems to imply that we need to spend some of our life looking for our Dharma and then the rest of our life fulfilling it.

I think you could spend your whole life looking for it. Never mind living it. Perhaps it is more of an acceptance that you are the one and only you (sorry Nic Kurshaw) and everyone Is the one and only them. Now that is a little more Zen.

If we are supposed to spend time in silence the one thing that drives silence away from my thoughts is this obsessive belief that I am supposed to be something for the greater good with my life otherwise I have failed in some way.

Over a decade When I was doing financially well for myself. Having started a successful business my Gran told me how proud she was of my success. That I had never shown much promise as a child and she thought it was fantastic to see me successful against all odds.

At time, all I could think was if I was a.Buddisht monk I would not see myself as successful. I had not transcended my physical need for physical things.

I still feel that way. Even though to day I believe more in doing things for passion, my original drive for capital goods although diminished (through some fulfillment) still exists.

I find that my quest to find my dharma has become almost a thorn in my side. I keep asking is this it. It is said that when you find you Dharma affluence in all states of life flow to you.

If this is not happening then does that mean it is not? Perhaps then to be Zen about it, you heed to believe that this is it and then It will be it.

We are this, this is this and that is this as the saying goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 7 March – Reflection

The Reality I was unsure if people care enough to make an effort. I planned to join the April 7 March to Save South Africa from the Cape Town Town Hall to Parliament the next day. Arriving in town we could see things were different. We walked past the Market in St Georges mall and saw almost no one there.  As we carried on walking towards the Grand Parade we heard first the motorbikes, then the people. Even though it was not yet noon, the crowd that had gathered was substantial, a lot more than the legal limit of 8,000. I looked up the street and then realized that the crowd was very large, my insecurity that no one cared enough to make an effort seemed like a joke. After some politically charged messages we started a slow march towards Parliament via Buitenkant. It was a slow march with some politically charged chanting – but was peaceful. When we got close to parliament as we could I realized there were a lot of people there.  Pers...

SMTP servers of South Africa

SMTP Settings Below is a list of SMTP sites in South Africa, using this and the ISP Map you can try and find which one works best for you. Telkom smtp.saix.net (ADSL) smtp.telkomsa.co.za (56k dial up) smtp.telkomsa.net Internet Solutions smtp.isdsl.net (ADSL) smtp.dial-up.net (56k dial up on IS) smtp.layerone.net (3g backbone) Vodacom smtp.vodacom.co.za smtp.vodamail.co.za MTN smtp.mtn.co.za Cell C smtp.cellc.co.za (GPRS) mail.cmobile.co.za (also used by Virgin) ABSA mail.absa.co.za iBurst smtp.wbs.co.za smtp.iburst.co.za @lantic smtp.lantic.net (ADSL,Dialup, ISDN) Sentech smtp.sentech.co.za MWEB smtp.mweb.net (ADSL) - this is to be retired End June 2012, use below instead smtp.mweb.co.za (56k dial-up & ADSL & business) iAfrica smtp.uunet.co.za smtp.iafrica.com Neotel smtp.neotel.co.za Tiscali NOW MWeb smtp.tiscali.co.za Netactive NOW MWeb smtp.netactive.co.za Global smtp.global.co.za Hertzner Use y...

Balance

Category: Ponderous When ever you talk to "life coaches" they talk about balance. What is balance, well it is there way of saying spend more time on personal things. That is not balance that is spending more time on personal things. Balance is what people tell you to get, when you are spending too much time trying to ensure that each day when the bills come you do not have a panic attack. So let's say you decide to take some personal time – get more balance in your life. Your read the secret you have the vision you write the goals, you project your positive thinking, and you believe in attaining the goals you have set. The question is what then. Balance implies there is a fulcrum and, and to much of any time on the one side of the fulcrum, is going to tip in other way, surely believing in balance is in itself a limiting belief. What you need to strive for is a pie chart of your time spent the way that is most beneficial to you as a person. The real limit we have is time (...