Skip to main content

Media Centre from an old PC, Windows works well

With all the media we use in our daily lives today, having a media centre in a house is almost becoming a necessity. The problem is even the cheapest media centre still requires some cash to be spilt.

Toss the router idea

I had to get a new router when we moved away from the super reliable, but now slow iBurst, and though I would be able to add a media server to the NetGear D2200 v3, but after getting the router to work as soon as I added the 1gb external drive it kept rebooting, so that did not work very well.

I then remembered we have and old Acer Tavelmate C300 lying around, even though it is 10 years old I thought lets make that a media server. It only has a 100gb drive and a Celeron 1.5 GHz, but surely that would be fine)

Linux, my Rs


Anyway so knowing that it would take a little time I put an evening aside and start prep. Most of the sites recommended uBuntu, do I downloaded the ISO, fired up the LapTop and started installing. I was greeted with a message saying

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 
pae 

Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU. 

What the flip?

Off I went back searching trying to get a solution and ended up downloading:
  • Fedora-Live-Desktop-i686-19-1
  • Puppywary-5.3
  • snowlinux-4-e17-i386-nonpae
  • ubuntu\lubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386
  • ubuntu\miniubuntu
  • ubuntu\ubuntu-10.04.4-server-i386
  • ubuntu\ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386
Each one of them had a problem, hanging during installation, not actually installing (Puppy) giving me driver errors.

Needless to say it was a late night.

Windows XP to the rescue

I did some more digging the next day, and found this turn-an-old-pc-into-a-home-media-server. So I thought what the hell, this Linux thing is pathetic. It is supposed to work with any hardware but does not.

So I loaded XP onto the laptop (took me a while to find the OEM disks. You cannot use any one disk otherwise the serial key does not work. This was probably took me as long to find the disk as download the uBuntu ISO.

Then once installed I attached the External Drive, shared some folders, had to enable file and printer sharing obviously. I also set the machine up with a static IP, and enabled Remote Desktop so I can access it even on my iPad, I purchase the remote desktop tool. I did also try and find a free version on VNC server but the Remote worked fine before I found one.

Serviio

I then installed Serviio, I had installed Plex but uPNP is not supported, so installed Serviio, added the folders of movies and media onto their library and I now have a media server.

I next plan to purchase a VGA to HDMI converter, but other wise I watch on any device on the network, or plug my iPad into the HDMI port (I have that converter) and we can watch anything we have downloaded or encoded onto the media server.

So in the end the surprise for me was how awesome the windows stuff is. We added Microsoft Security Essentially so it has antivirus. So we now have a media server for free :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency – what is it and how can I benefit

What is it I started investigating Bitcoin when it was worth just over $1000 a bitcoin. I was interested in what it was and how it worked. A lot of people are saying we missed the boat, but I believe that everyone should at least try put a little money in now, or at least use a faucet (see below) to make a little micro-currency. You can read a Wiki article about bitcoin and its history etc. But what you need to know is that it is a currency, that is independent of country. No one really knows who invented the concept of a cryptocurrency since the person who published the paper used a nom de plume. All new cryptocurrencies work more or less the same way as Bitcoin. So as I explain below I interchange these terms. Bitcoin is the original cryptocurrency. How Bitcoin works The currency releases a coin based on a mathematical formula. There will never be more than 21 million bitcoins (other cryptocurrencies do not work like this). Each bitcoin can have divided into one hundred mil

Migrating QuickBooks to Sage One Cloud accounting - Part 1 Exporting the data

Some notes Sage means sage one online accounts, wherever we say Sage we mean Sage one. The QuickBooks we used was version 2012 Professional. But most of the information is similar. What you need > You need the templates from Sage and the data from QuickBooks, see below for how to do these. Get Import Templates from Sage To get the templates for the items go to help.accounting.sageone.co.za/en_za/accounting/from-your-previous-accounting-system.html Although you can construct the templates from the information in this post you can download samples of the templates need. Below are the links they provide: Use the following downloads which are referenced in the guide: General Ledger Accounts Import Template Customer Import Template Customer Outstanding Invoices Import Template Supplier Import Template Supplier Outstanding Invoices Import Template Item Import Template   Another useful page that is hard to find on their system is: help.accounting.sageone.co.za/en_za/ac

Mindfullness Meditation and Depression - in a pod cast

Over the last 3 years I have found that meditation has really assisted me, in resolving the depression I have had. I have planned to write about my experience for a while, and hopefully will get around to doing that. However today having listen to the latest podcast by Dan Harris on 10% happier, so many things just clicked in to place, so I want to share it. To understand what is covered in the podcast I would recommend you understand what mindfulness meditation is, and what the default mode network in the brain is (see links below). Listen to the pod cast - but here are some extracts (which I do not have permission to publish - and will remove if asked). Link to podcast: tumello.com/listen/H11a5NYJf; or itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/10-happier-with-dan-harris/id1087147821 Chuck Raison, a psychiatrist and a professor of psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health, and Vlad Maletic, a clinical professor of neuropsychiatry and behavior sc