Skip to main content

Serious do we always have to go back wards? PHP is rubbish

I have been programming on and off since I fell out of my teens. In those days languages where showing some sign of maturity. Pascal had shown the way of what a types language could achieve, to the point that a scratchy language called "B" had borrowed from this language to become "C". With in a decade another language called basic had borrowed from Pascal to become Visual Basic.

SmallTalk was showing the way, showing how objects to help with re-usability and ease of use and understanding. And it had resulted in object pascal and C++ in the early 90's. And I thought that languages where showing that they could leave behind their ugly past based in COBOL and Fortran and its even uglier sisters like RPG.

Unfortunately the quest to win the rat race took me away from programming as the GUI and web started to take hold.

But in the last 5 years I have got back into programming par time. Initially just in VBA and access, but then C# for all things serious. After 6 months of exposure of C# I started disliking VBA, it could not decide what it was, like typically update basics, it is no longer basic, not quite a fully typed language. Some variables can be implicitly typed, some explicitly typed.

But at least the editors where able to distinguish them and then provide you the ability to remember function, variable and constant names, and any classes they may have related to them.

With C# it is possible to declare variables implicitly or explicitly so you can choose, although I prefer explicit since this means a number of bugs can be identified before run time, reducing dev time.

Anyway back to my original point enough about my back ground. So a colleague asks me to assist with a problem he is having with an "open source" online shopping product. After delving into the product through the forums I find that you have to make mods to the code to do what he wants. So off I go. I takes me about a day to set up an environment for me to be able to do so dev, changes to me windows, editors to be downloaded, luckily I did not have to install that web server named after some unfortunate India tribe, but with everything in place off I go to w3schools to teach myself the basics.

Hell no. This language is almost as bad as writing batch files in DOS. And that ain't fun. When I worked with batch languages before they where exactly that batch languages designed to do a quick hack in order achieve basics. This language is a batch language that thinks it is a player. It is awful. If you want a decent dev environment you have to buy it, I have used Visual Studio Express for free for 5 years and it does everything I need. everything feels like a hack.

All variables are the same, you cannot explicitly define variables, things like master pages are non existent, you have to go back to the days when we used include files, that is something I learnt to do in the 80s YUK.

Global variables have to be explicitly defined in functions, and NO classes or objects. The help says you can do things, only to find that you need some other extension to use those functions. This thing is as nasty as a wooden fishing boat that has seen to many storms, it is creaking at the seams and has not learnt about steel boats yet. It takes programming back about 40 years.

I am sad to see that it is becoming so popular, but I cannot imagine that any serious programmer considers this a one up on C#. I hear some of the big names use it, but they are run by HR departments that do not understand technology.

For me, I will do what I have to do and run back even VBA and grovel on my knees to be let back into the land of much better tasting grass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating QuickBooks to Sage One Cloud accounting - Part 1 Exporting the data

Some notes Sage means sage one online accounts, wherever we say Sage we mean Sage one. The QuickBooks we used was version 2012 Professional. But most of the information is similar. What you need > You need the templates from Sage and the data from QuickBooks, see below for how to do these. Get Import Templates from Sage To get the templates for the items go to help.accounting.sageone.co.za/en_za/accounting/from-your-previous-accounting-system.html Although you can construct the templates from the information in this post you can download samples of the templates need. Below are the links they provide: Use the following downloads which are referenced in the guide: General Ledger Accounts Import Template Customer Import Template Customer Outstanding Invoices Import Template Supplier Import Template Supplier Outstanding Invoices Import Template Item Import Template   Another useful page that is hard to find on their system is: help.accounting.sageone.co.za/en_za/ac

Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency – what is it and how can I benefit

What is it I started investigating Bitcoin when it was worth just over $1000 a bitcoin. I was interested in what it was and how it worked. A lot of people are saying we missed the boat, but I believe that everyone should at least try put a little money in now, or at least use a faucet (see below) to make a little micro-currency. You can read a Wiki article about bitcoin and its history etc. But what you need to know is that it is a currency, that is independent of country. No one really knows who invented the concept of a cryptocurrency since the person who published the paper used a nom de plume. All new cryptocurrencies work more or less the same way as Bitcoin. So as I explain below I interchange these terms. Bitcoin is the original cryptocurrency. How Bitcoin works The currency releases a coin based on a mathematical formula. There will never be more than 21 million bitcoins (other cryptocurrencies do not work like this). Each bitcoin can have divided into one hundred mil

Mindfullness Meditation and Depression - in a pod cast

Over the last 3 years I have found that meditation has really assisted me, in resolving the depression I have had. I have planned to write about my experience for a while, and hopefully will get around to doing that. However today having listen to the latest podcast by Dan Harris on 10% happier, so many things just clicked in to place, so I want to share it. To understand what is covered in the podcast I would recommend you understand what mindfulness meditation is, and what the default mode network in the brain is (see links below). Listen to the pod cast - but here are some extracts (which I do not have permission to publish - and will remove if asked). Link to podcast: tumello.com/listen/H11a5NYJf; or itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/10-happier-with-dan-harris/id1087147821 Chuck Raison, a psychiatrist and a professor of psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health, and Vlad Maletic, a clinical professor of neuropsychiatry and behavior sc