Skip to main content

The not so Good food and Wine Show..

I have not gone to the Good Food & Wine Show, for fours years. For many reasons to name a few:
Heston
  • The entrance does not include parking, and is mad in price even if you convert to dollars, it is ten dollars to get in. What do you get for that? NOTHING
  • The people on the show have to fork out a small fortune for the having a stand, and this means that fashion food is dominant, because fashion food is more profitable, since more money is spent on brand than product.
  • I am not a huge fan of crowds, studies show over and over again that people in crowds are not people just body moving toward the exit
  • Most exhibitors that make it are only there to supplement their super market mentality. Brand and sales are what drive them there.
So why did I go?
Well the main reason I went was because I wanted to see Heston Blumenthal, whose programs I have YouTubed and seen on DSTV. Both in search of Perfection, and his Feast series which are mind boggling to say the least.
In Search of Total Perfection
So off we went, decided to get a baby sitter for the kids, seem as we where forking out almost a grand to go see him (yes tickets to see Heston at the show DID NOT included the price of entry, and do not ask me to explain how you are supposed to get in without going through the entrance, because quite simply I cannot)

We arrived a little early to see a little of the show that I had been forced to buy an entrance ticket for, to to see Heston. After mossing around the giant supermarket for 40 minutes, of which I only saw one interesting thing (that I could not have seen at my local Pick n Pay) namely the beer garden, which is doing what quaffee does with coffee, with beer.

I also spoke to a few exhibitors who told me that they had to fork out 30k + for their standard, excluding setup. Some said they had been busy but would never recover that money at the show. I also spoke to two product importers who I had emailed, and they had not come back to me, and their attitude was okay here is my card you call me, no wonder their business is booming NOT!

Okay to Hestin
Well firstly he did not cook anything, we were told that this was because his style was too intricate, I get that. He was going to speak to us about his philosophy to food. Which would have been great if I could have heard more than every third word. The sound was so bad, I have been to school concerts that had better sound BY FAR. The only way to listen to what he was saying (and we were in a good place) was by cupping my one ear towards the one speaker and the other towards another to try and cut out the echo, I felt embarrassed for Heston, I could only assume someone who is so particular could not have known. No wonder they say it is better on TV, because it is! If you put the TV at the bottom of your garden and played it, it would have sounded better.

It is a pity that I could not hear most of what he had to say, even though some of it was a recap from the shows, it was good to see him personally. I think a deaf person would have had a better experience than I did. At least they could lip read.

We then bumped into friends that had also gone, I had told them I was going so they had decided they would come too, arrived a little late and had to sit at the back, and said the sound was just as bad.

What did he say?
Besides his little push of din*ner and the fat duck, he said that eating is a five senses experience. We eat with our eyes, ears, mouth, nose and tongue. And that what we experience while we eat is what makes the food. Well that is what I could hear.

Rest of the show...
We went through the rest of the show, I had a good chat to the seed people starke ayers, and found that seed have an expiry, never knew that, and that is why they are only sell certain seeds at certain times.

All in all, would I spend my money on an entrance ticket, probably not! I love my food, and all that it represents, but to go to a show where 90% of the exhibitors are brands that can pop into your local mall and see, and the parking is cheaper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency – what is it and how can I benefit

What is it I started investigating Bitcoin when it was worth just over $1000 a bitcoin. I was interested in what it was and how it worked. A lot of people are saying we missed the boat, but I believe that everyone should at least try put a little money in now, or at least use a faucet (see below) to make a little micro-currency. You can read a Wiki article about bitcoin and its history etc. But what you need to know is that it is a currency, that is independent of country. No one really knows who invented the concept of a cryptocurrency since the person who published the paper used a nom de plume. All new cryptocurrencies work more or less the same way as Bitcoin. So as I explain below I interchange these terms. Bitcoin is the original cryptocurrency. How Bitcoin works The currency releases a coin based on a mathematical formula. There will never be more than 21 million bitcoins (other cryptocurrencies do not work like this). Each bitcoin can have divided into one hundred mil

Migrating QuickBooks to Sage One Cloud accounting - Part 1 Exporting the data

Some notes Sage means sage one online accounts, wherever we say Sage we mean Sage one. The QuickBooks we used was version 2012 Professional. But most of the information is similar. What you need > You need the templates from Sage and the data from QuickBooks, see below for how to do these. Get Import Templates from Sage To get the templates for the items go to help.accounting.sageone.co.za/en_za/accounting/from-your-previous-accounting-system.html Although you can construct the templates from the information in this post you can download samples of the templates need. Below are the links they provide: Use the following downloads which are referenced in the guide: General Ledger Accounts Import Template Customer Import Template Customer Outstanding Invoices Import Template Supplier Import Template Supplier Outstanding Invoices Import Template Item Import Template   Another useful page that is hard to find on their system is: help.accounting.sageone.co.za/en_za/ac

Mindfullness Meditation and Depression - in a pod cast

Over the last 3 years I have found that meditation has really assisted me, in resolving the depression I have had. I have planned to write about my experience for a while, and hopefully will get around to doing that. However today having listen to the latest podcast by Dan Harris on 10% happier, so many things just clicked in to place, so I want to share it. To understand what is covered in the podcast I would recommend you understand what mindfulness meditation is, and what the default mode network in the brain is (see links below). Listen to the pod cast - but here are some extracts (which I do not have permission to publish - and will remove if asked). Link to podcast: tumello.com/listen/H11a5NYJf; or itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/10-happier-with-dan-harris/id1087147821 Chuck Raison, a psychiatrist and a professor of psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health, and Vlad Maletic, a clinical professor of neuropsychiatry and behavior sc